Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Canine Capers 2

This detective business is fantastic fun! You never know what's going to happen.

Yesterday, we went out into the yard again - the weather is so incredible right now, who wants to be indoors! Anyway, M - that's code for Mojo - heard a crying voice somewhere in the yard.

"Do you hear that, T?" (Code for ... okay, you get the picture.)

"Yes, it seems to be coming from the back deck."

Together, we quietly creeped along the edge of the house and peeked around the corner. To our surprise, there, huddled against the downpipe, was a little baby rabbit. She didn't see us right away because she was too busy crying, and we decided to wait a bit so we wouldn't scare her.

A few minutes later, M spoke up.

"Hey, little bunny. What's the matter?"

She looked up, and she looked scared.

"I want my mommy!" and then she promptly burst into tears again.

My first thought was, damned cats! They've caught and killed the mom and left this little one all alone. So, I gently asked where her mom was.

"She's at home," she replied between sniffles.

Relieved, I then asked, "So, why aren't you home with her?"

"I was, but I went outside to play and ended up getting lost. I was having so much fun exploring that I didn't watch where I was going. And now I can't find the way back."

At that point, M asked her name, and she smiled a little as she said, "Alice". Then, when we told her that we were friendly detective dogs and would help her find the way back, she brightened up and clapped her tiny front feet together. I think she was happy we were small like her and not at all big and prowly like cats.

Lucky for Alice, with M and me on the hunt, so to speak, we were able to find the trail that would lead her home in no time at all.

"Over here, under the tree in the back corner!" yelled M. "I can see the way through the fence and under the neighbour's shed."

Without waiting for another word, Alice hopped over to where M and I were pointing our paws in the right direction. She was so very happy, and gave us a big smile as she disappeared down the rabbit hole.

And that was the start of a very different story altogether ....

T

No comments:

Post a Comment